Pages

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Yetis

Dated 4/4/2017....last spring.....

I was looking through some drafts that I had typed, but never published, and laughed out loud reading this one.  More funny kid antics to come in the next week! 



It's about 8:15 am.  Bleary-eyed, I'm making oatmeal and waffles in the kitchen, and the girls are at the dining room table.

Monica:  Mommy, are yetis real?
Me: <not awake>...umm, what <in my head...yetis?  where do they get these ideas??> ....yetis?  I don't know...I don't think so...no, yetis are not real.
Lauren <with an air of absolute authority>:  They are real.
Monica <wide-eyed>:  How do YOU know??
Lauren:  I know EVERYTHING!
Monica:  Oh yeah???  Do you know ALL the planets?? Even the ones that INDIANS came from??
Lauren:  I sure do!
Monica:  How do you even know this stuff???

Lauren is just laughing.  I see the mischief in her eyes, and I have to smile, as well.  She knows that she doesn't know everything, but she is delighted to have fooled her sister, even for just a moment.  

The yeti conversation continues in the next room.  I hear Monica say something about "they inhabit the Himolays", or something of that nature.  Out of pure curiosity, I google "yeti"
I have no idea where they have acquired this knowledge about the fabled yetis of the Himalayas, but I love this gentle reminder that the kids are experts on many ideas that I am not.  Hopefully, I'll remember to ask Monica about the Indians from the other planets after I pick her up from school 😉
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As a side note, there have been MANY conversations since this one about "Indians."  Over the last six months, Monica has mentioned that Indians are extinct, Indians are not humans, and Indians no longer exist.  We have also had several conversations to further confuse her when discussing Indians as in Native Americans, versus people from the country of India.  :) :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment